SPIOTA logo

STOKESLEY’S HERITAGE PROJECT

REVIEWS OF WORKSHOP ON MONDAY, 12 NOVEMBER 2012

General Session

Internet: Keith Burton reported progress in setting up a Wikidot site for storing and sharing records. It can also be used for making selected material more widely available. He plans to digitally copy the entries for the Fallen from a book in the Parish Church. He also suggested a half day session when the public can share their memories of Fallen relatives.

Northallerton Records Office: This is a valuable source of information. Kev Cale recommended hiring a conference room adjacent to the Park Room, with a group of 3-4 going, as a digital camera without flash can be used in this room to save taking note. They will copy defined sections of microfilm for a fee. Building deeds are not on microfilm: a short version gives a summary, with full version in a big book. People can ask for some tuition on checking deeds. Quarter Sessions: no index, but one is being prepared for the internet. Workhouse: Kev will provide a contact who has used the records to research a Workhouse in Scriven, near Knaresborough.

Brick Survey: Some preliminary work on surveying Stokesley’s bricks was displayed. Some sample bricks were provided by Ralph Barker. He described the Brickworks at Busby Pond, near the Thirsk Road which ran up to the 1950s, using a Hoffman Kiln.

Group Sessions

The Buildings and People Group

The discussion on local brick production, processing and brick types was continued. Participants in this Group are asked to think about the buildings they wish to study and if appropriate check for relevant material in the Local History files in Stokesley Library for the next Workshop on Mon Dec 10.

Report on The Logistics Group for the Stokesley Society Heritage Project at the Workshop 12th. November 2012 –Present Chris Taylor & Judith Ratcliffe.

We will be covering Pannierways- Roads- Railways relating to Stokesley and the surrounding locality.

We agreed that our broad remit will be-

Sources of Information- Libraries- Internet-County Record Offices – County Council Records – Various individuals who have carried out similar research.

Initially Judith Ratcliffe will research Pannierways and Chris Taylor will research Roads- Help will be greatly appreciated with either of these two subjects and in particular help or Helpers are required to research the Stokesley Railways subject

Notes of Manor Group at Workshop 12/11/2012

Maps – I, (DM), have copies of maps of Stokesley for the following dates

Discussion on 1904 map with DM, KB, KC, HC

Strip field system adjacent to Stripe, noted some strips appeared to have been combined, (2 strips) and then divided into two across width. Similar strip fields of approximately same size adjacent to Roman Catholic Church. Earlier measurements, (very crude from map and scaled up), gave a width slightly wider than normal for a mediaeval strip. However, KB pointed out that the size of an acre varied across English counties. This may account for differences.

KB commented that the pathway that emerges by the side of the NFU offices would give a direct line to the Manor House. Also noted positioning of ford may indicate this was the position of original crossing rather than the pack horse bridge, also would give a more direct access to the route way that leads to the South via Kirby. Position of Rectory. Noted that Guy Balliol made a gift to St Mary’s Abbey, York, around 1112 – 1122, of, ‘the Church at Stokesley and one carucate of land in the same town and the tithe of my demesne in the same town….’ A carucate is about 140 acres. This may account for the glebe land to the south of the river.

Noted proximity of church and manor house, together with routeways may indicate that the original settlement may have been in the College Square area. The town developing to the west at a later date, probably from the time of the Eure family taking possession of the manor in 1220. A charter for a fair was granted to John de Eure in 1223/4.

May be interesting to get some dates for the old rectory.

KC noted position of mill with a long leet may have been a later development as originally mills were built adjacent to the river. A mill mentioned in Domesday Book, this was likely to be adjacent to river.

H B Charman