SPIOTA logo

Manor House Plaque - photograph courtesy of Derek Whiting

This plaque is sited next to one of the gate piers of Manor House. This entrance opens onto The Plain, in front of the Town Hall.

It is thought that Angrove Hall, situated between Stokesley and Great Ayton, had been built by a Thomas Wayne in about 1758. Unfortunately Thomas had problems with his family, and quarrelled with them and with his solicitors. After his death his will was challenged. The Hall was deemed to be cursed, and fell into disrepair, eventually being demolished in about 1832.